1. WE NEED MORE TIME TO FIGURE THINGS OUT
Give more practice problems in a particular area.
More time may be needed on speed drills or reading comprehension than is allowed for in the curriculum.
Show patience! Tutor after school in help classes, if necessary.
Create emotional security by not embarrassing them in front of their peers.
Modify curriculum, if necessary—ie. shorten spelling list.
2. WE NEED MORE EXPLANATION AND DIRECT INSTRUCTION
Be sure that instructions and expectation are given clearly.
Define the terms—read, circle, count, find, define, copy, list, discuss, summarize, compose, identify, etc.
Have them repeat the instructions, if necessary. Point to the area on the paper that you are explaining; see it, say it, cover it, say it.
Explain material in creative ways.
Teach them to listen for key words in explanations.
3. WE NEED HELP IN ORGANIZING OUR WORK, OUR DESK, AND OUR PRIORITIES
Provide a homework sheet or planner with a checklist format.
Show what an organized desk looks like.
Work closely with the parents to check completed work.
4. WE NEED TO KNOW WHY WE HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TEACHING US
Motivate with practical reasons to learn material.
Set short range and attainable goals.
Give many encouraging words and praise often.
Say “I love you” often and write it in personal notes.
Pray for students and tell them that you are praying for them.
5. WE HAVE DIFFICULTY FOCUSING OUR ATTENTION ON LEARNING TASKS
Eliminate as many distractions as possible.
Seat them in the front of the classroom.
Be punctual and prepare materials well before class.
Expect accuracy and neatness in work.
Model correct behavior in front of students.
Stay as consistent as possible in classroom management and expectations.
6. WE SOMETIMES HAVE A HARD TIME SITTING STILL
They need an active recess.
They need organized sports at recess to learn social skills.
Pair them with brighter students who will help the slower student and be humble about helping.
120 Hrs TESOL Online Course
I think everything in the course was useful, and none more important than the rest. The information and ready to help attitude from this company...
- I liked the helpful and supportive feedback, as well as the combination of video and reading material. The homework questions also did a good...